Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction has been reinstated one year after it was nullified

Alex Reimer
March 13, 2019 - 11:38 am
Categories: 

Aaron Hernandez’s murder conviction has been reinstated. Massachusett’s highest court ruled Wednesday the deceased ex-Patriots tight end should be held responsible for the slaying of Odin Lloyd. The conviction was nullified last year, due to an arcane legal rule that says a defendant who dies before their appeal is heard must have any guilty verdict wiped out.

The state Supreme Judicial Court also expunged the practice, calling it outdated.

“The SJC has ruled that Aaron Hernandez’s conviction for the 2013 murder of Odin Lloyd, will stand,” Bristol District Attorney Thomas Quinn said in a statement, per CBS Boston. “We are pleased justice is served in this case, the antiquated practice of vacating a valid conviction is being eliminated and the victim’s family can get the closure they deserve.”

Hernandez was convicted for the murder of Lloyd in 2015. Two years later, he was acquitted of double-murder charges in a separate trial, but killed himself in his jail cell shortly thereafter. 

Under the new order, if a defendant passes before their appeal, the conviction stands without any affirmation or nullification. 

Comments ()