WEEI

Red Sox found not negligent in $9.5 million foul-ball injury lawsuit

Alex Reimer
June 14, 2018 - 9:03 am

A Suffolk County jury Wednesday ruled the Red Sox weren’t negligent in a case involving a Brookline woman who was injured by a foul ball at Fenway Park in 2014. The woman was seeking $9.5 million in damages.

Stephanie Taubin, the plaintiff, was sitting in the Dell/EMC club above home plate when she was struck by a foul ball. The impact caused facial fractures and neurological damage, according to her suit. 

Red Sox spokeswoman Zineb Curran said the team is satisfied with the verdict. “While we regret the injury Ms. Taubin sustained, we are pleased with today’s outcome,” she said in a statement, per the Boston Globe. “The Dell/EMC Club is a safe and enjoyable area from which to watch a Red Sox game. Many of our valued fans, guests, and family and friends have enjoyed the space and return to it time and again.”

Red Sox principal owner John Henry testified in the civil suit earlier this month, acknowledging the area above the grandstands became more dangerous when the team removed the glass. This year, the Red Sox dramatically expanded the netting at Fenway Park, stretching it all the way to the outfield on both sides. 

Comments ()