Brandon Workman begins serving suspension, Grady Sizemore released, Shane Victorino rehab schedule adjusted

June 18, 2014 - 9:58 am
Categories: 
Red Sox pitcher Brandon Workman began serving his suspension Wednesday after his six-game ban was upheld by Major League Baseball. After making his appeal to the league last Friday, the righty waited until Wednesday to learn his fate. Workman was scheduled to pitch on Friday against the Athletics, but he will miss that start. Workman, who has a 2.88 ERA and 1.02 WHIP with 28 strikeouts, 12 walks and two home runs allowed in 34 1/3 innings pitched through five starts, was suspended for his role in the altercations with the Rays that occurred May 30. Prior to Wednesday's game, when the Sox were still awaiting word on his status, John Farrell said the team was anticipating a missed start for Workman. "We're dealing with the original six-game suspension which was going to take him out of a start if it was served immediately," Farrell said. "The fact that it's delayed or if it's reduced, we still anticipate him missing a start. We just have to wait for word." OTHER RED SOX NOTES -- The Red Sox released Grady Sizemore prior to Wednesday's game. Sizemore had been designated for assignment Tuesday, but he is now free to sign anywhere rather than waiting 10 days. -- After the Pawtucket Red Sox game was suspended on Tuesday in Rochester, N.Y., the Red Sox had to adjust Shane Victorino's rehab schedule. Victorino will only play in the nightcap of the PawSox' doubleheader. "The one at-bat and then the couple of plays in the outfield and then the game was shortened after three innings so [Victorino] is still with Pawtucket," Farrell said. He is playing there again today, which is different than the original schedule because he's played a total of eight innings there in two days, so [we're] trying to get him back on the field."
Comments ()