NFL roundup: QBs Jay Cutler, Jake Locker, Seneca Wallace hurt; 49ers DE Aldon Smith returns

November 11, 2013 - 8:41 am

Sunday was a bad day to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. Jay Cutler, Jake Locker and Seneca Wallace all were forced out of their games early, while Peyton Manning also re-aggravated his ankle injury. Cutler left with an ankle injury in the fourth quarter of Chicago'€™s 21-19 loss to the Lions. His status for the game was in question to begin with as he missed the Bears'€™ 27-20 win over the Packers the previous week. Josh McCown replaced Cutler and led Chicago on a touchdown-scoring drive. However, the two-point conversion failed and the Bears came up just short. Locker, who was enjoying a breakout season for the Titans, might be lost for the season with a Lisfranc injury suffered in Tennessee'€™s 29-27 loss to the Jaguars. NFL.com'€™s Albert Breer reported that the Titans believe the third-year pro'€™s season could be over. Locker already missed two games this season with a hip injury. Wallace, filling in for the injured Aaron Rodgers, played only one series of Green Bay'€™s 27-13 loss to Philadelphia, as a groin injury forced him out. Wallace replaced Rodgers last week when the Packers'€™ franchise quarterback went down with a fractured collarbone at the start of the team'€™s 27-20 loss to Chicago. Scott Tolzien replaced Wallace at quarterback, and will start next week vs. the Giants, according to Packers coach Mike McCarthy. '€¢ The 49ers showed Aldon Smith tough love by suspending him for over a month due to his substance abuse problems. When Smith finally made it back on the field Sunday, after missing the past five games, San Francisco continued that tough love in the team'€™s 10-9 loss to the Panthers on Sunday. Smith sat out the entire first quarter and totaled just 12 snaps in the entire game, despite being healthy. Smith voiced his displeasure with the decision to limit his snaps, saying he was '€œnot really'€ OK with his role, but also added: '€œThe season is long, so we'll see how it goes. I don't really call those shots. I just put my clothes on, put my cleats on and play.'€ Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said the decision to limit his play was not meant as a punishment, and instead an attempt to ease him back into action. Smith has racked up 38 sacks in his first three seasons as a pro, including 4½ this season. '€¢ When the high-powered, Drew Brees-led Saints offense met the futile Cowboys defense on Sunday night, the results were predictable. Brees completed 34-of-41 passes for 392 yards and four touchdowns in New Orleans'€™ 49-17 home victory. The Saints put the game away in the first half, as they burst out to a 28-10 lead behind three Brees touchdown passes. New Orleans scored two touchdowns in the last one minutes, 32 seconds of the second quarter. Rob Ryan, current Saints defensive coordinator and former Dallas defensive coordinator, outdueled his former team, and his usurper, Monte Kiffin. The Saints evisceration of Kiffin'€™s defense was not limited to the passing game. New Orleans also rushed for 242 yards, including the first 100-yard game by Mark Ingram in 2½ years, and by the end of the massacre, the Saints had accumulated 625 total yards of offense, to Dallas'€™ 193. New Orleans'€™ 40 first downs were an NFL record. Through 10 games, the Cowboys have already become the first defense in NFL history to allow four 400-yard passing games in one season. The loss dropped them to a two-way tie for first place in the NFC East with the Eagles. '€¢ Dolphins lineman Richie Incognito told his side of the story to Fox Sports'€™ Jay Glazer in a nationally televised interview on Sunday. Incognito, the main accused culprit for the bullying of fellow lineman Jonathan Martin, told Glazer that Martin texted him, threatening his family. "A week before this went down, Jonathan Martin texted me, 'I will murder your whole [expletive] family.' Now did I think Jonathan Martin was going to murder my family? Not one bit. I know it was coming from a brother. I knew it was coming from a friend. I knew it was coming from a teammate. That puts in context how we communicate with one another." Incognito made public this particular message in response to a derogatory message left on Martin'€™s cell phone by Incognito that included racist and lewd comments. The nine-year pro also showed revealed a text from Martin just days after he left the team, and reports of Incognito'€™s harassment of Martin had leaked. "Wassup man? The world's gone crazy lol I'm good tho congrats on the win," Martin wrote. "Yeah I'm good man. It's insane bro but just know I don't blame you guys at all it's just the culture around football and the locker room got to me a little." Incognito remains suspended indefinitely by the Dolphins while the NFL investigates allegations of player misconduct.