USA Today Sports

Alex Cora explains stance on White House visit

Rob Bradford
November 01, 2018 - 3:21 pm

Immediately after the Red Sox win, John Henry offered his initial thoughts on whether or not his club would be visiting the White House.

Henry's stance?

"I think we will (go to the White House)," the principal owner told WEEI.com.

Speaking to the media Thursday morning, Red Sox manager Alex Cora offered some clarification on where he stood on a potential invitation.

"I've been using this platform the right way the whole time. We'll talk about it as an organization," Cora said. "Whatever we decide is going to be respected. If we decide to go I will use my platform the right way. I mean, if you start looking at this team we've got guys from the United States and from the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Puerto Rico. So I'll use the platform the right way. Like I said before, and I know the headlines don't show it, I said I respect the president of the United States and I know he helped our country. So whenever we have to make that decision we'll make it and it's going to be respected."

Cora had been critical of previous tweets from President Donald Trump questioning the casualty toll in Puerto Rico.

The two members of the Astros who didn't attend last year's White House ceremony -- which was held in May -- were Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltran, both natives of Puerto Rico.

Related: John Henry hints that Red Sox will go to White House