Another MLB star decides not to play in 2020

Rob Bradford
July 10, 2020 - 12:34 pm
Categories: 

Of all the players to have opted out of the 2020 season so far, this might have been the most notable announcement.

Giants catcher Buster Posey -- a former National League Rookie of the Year and MVP -- told the media through a Zoom call Friday that he has decided to not play this season. The six-time All-Star revealed that the impetus for his decision was the health of the two twins he and his wife recently adopted who were born prematurely.

The newborns are in stable condition but remain in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Posey has been absent from San Francisco's camp for the previous two days.

"This ultimately wasn't that difficult decision for me," said Posey, who also has 8-year-old twins. "From a baseball standpoint, it was a tough decision. From a family standpoint, and feeling like I’m making a decision to protect our children, I think it was relatively easy."

Posey follows in the footsteps of other major league players who have chosen to sit out the 2020 season due to concerns over COVID-19 seasons, among them being David Price, Felix Hernandez, Ryan Zimmerman, and Nick Markakis. (For a complete list of those MLB players who have tested positive for the coronavirus and those who have opted out, click here.)

There hasn't been any Red Sox players to opt-out, with four members of the team -- Eduardo Rodriguez, Bobby Dalbec, Josh Taylor and Darwinzon Hernandez -- testing positive for COVID-19.