Clay Buchholz

Clay Buchholz explains reaction to phone being hacked: 'It was pretty shocking'

Rob Bradford
February 24, 2015 - 10:01 am
Categories: 

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- It was not the way Clay Buchholz wanted to begin his offseason. In early October, the Red Sox pitcher's iPhone was hacked, allowing racy pictures of his wife, Lindsay, to be spread over the internet. It was one in a series of cases at the time where content from celebrities' phones were being stolen, with Detroit pitcher Justin Verlander and his girlfriend Kate Upton having to endure a similar issue. Buchholz told WEEI.com Tuesday that his first reaction upon learning his phone had been hacked was to enlist the help of lawyers. But after some initial investigation, it was learned that the source was coming from the Netherlands, where laws make it difficult to prosecute such culprits. "They just told us there wasn't a lot we could do," Buchholz said. "It was crazy, It is what it is," he added. "It was one of those things, if we could have prosecuted, we would have prosecuted. But as far as the laws go, I think it was done in the Netherlands and they have fence around them where you can'€™t do anything. We had lawyers look into it. "It was pretty shocking. It was one of those things. There'€™s always looking to get somebody. It just happened to be me. There were multiple other people that it happened to, obviously. Seriously, it took five days and we really didn'€™t hear about it anymore." Shortly after the incident, Lindsay Buchholz -- a former actress/model -- told TMZ.com the pictures in question were intended for the couple and nobody else. "Clay and I are good," he told the outlet. "I sent him pictures on the road." "Lindsay was pretty shaken up," Buchholz explained. "I just told her to try and forget about it. Everybody knows stuff happens. That'€™s my wife and it'€™s our business, but at the same time people are going to use you for whatever they can." With no available legal recourse (including involving Apple, which has protected itself in regards to stolen material off their iCloud function), the couple has moved on while obviously taking some extra precautions. "I'm definitely more careful," Buchholz said. "It'€™s just as simple as you dropping your phone and losing it, and somebody guessing your password. I try to try and keep everything secure as possible."

Buchholz joined Middays with MFB on Tuesday to talk about his offseason and the start of spring training. Click here to listen to the interview.
Comments ()