New position, new travel plans catch up to David Ortiz

Rob Bradford
August 20, 2013 - 12:24 am

SAN FRANCISCO '€“ The strategy of flying out of Boston, across the country on the same day the Red Sox had to play their series-opener against the Giants evidently paid off. The Sox scored three runs in the second inning, while watching starting pitcher Jon Lester cruise through the early innings. And then there was the end result: a 7-0 Red Sox win over the Giants Monday night at AT&T Park. '€œI think the one thing we talked before the game was not make a big issue about the travel,'€ said Red Sox manager John Farrell. '€œWe took a morning flight rather than a night flight. In the end, that'€™s kind of what it is.'€ But one player who still couldn'€™t fully embrace the new travel philosophy was the Red Sox' first baseman, David Ortiz. Ortiz went 0-for-5 with a pair of strikeouts, although he did play a flawless first base while manning the position for eight innings. After the game, however, Ortiz was showing the fatigue that came with playing the field for just the second time this season. '€œI'€™m sore. Not because I was playing first base, but because of the day we had today,'€ said Ortiz, who joined his teammates in landing at San Francisco International Airport at approximately 1 p.m. '€œGoing from the airport to the field '€¦ I'€™m not 20 years old anymore.'€ Asked if he would be open to taking the same approach if the opportunity arises again, Ortiz said, '€œHopefully I don'€™t have to. I did it because they needed me out there today. It'€™s not fun. By the third inning my back and everything started grabbing. The travel was tough. But we won, which is a good thing. I would have felt worse if we would have lost and I didn'€™t do anything.'€ Ortiz is slated to get Tuesday night'€™s game off, with either Mike Napoli or another first base candidate (Mike Carp, Daniel Nava) getting the call. (Napoli'€™s availability won'€™t be decided until he participates in a simulated game involving Clay Buchholz on Tuesday afternoon.) '€œI'€™m sore all over the place, but I'€™ll be fine,'€ Ortiz said. '€œIt'€™s just traveling six hours to play the same day, that'€™s not the way anybody does it. But even coming in last night wouldn'€™t have been fun. The next thing you know you don'€™t'€™ have any time to recover.'€