USA Today Sports

The Red Sox are officially headed to the White House

Rob Bradford
December 03, 2018 - 10:30 pm

It was the last mystery surrounding the 2018 Red Sox.

Would they go to the White House?

Immediately after clinching the World Series title principal owner John Henry told WEEI.com that he was going to wait until the Red Sox were officially invited to ultimately decide if a meeting with President Donald Trump was in their future, but if the invitation did come he believed the trip to Washington, D.C. would be made.

Well, the invitation did arrive and the Red Sox' answer was exactly what Henry insinuated it would be.

"We've accepted and we're going to go and see if there is a date that works," said Red Sox president Sam Kennedy. "Like in the past, it's an invitation. It's not a mandatory command performance. It's a great opportunity for the players. It's an invitation for the players and ownership. So there's great opportunity for those guys to go to the White House and get a behind-the-scenes tour and get the recognition they deserve for a world championship."

Kennedy's proclamation came at the release of the Red Sox' "Damage Done" documentary Monday night. He was followed by Sox manager Alex Cora who stayed true to his previously stated approach toward the event.

"We've been talking about it, dates and all that stuff," Cora said. "I'm going to use my platform that right way. I'm not going to embarrass anybody. Actually, I'm going to represent probably four million people from back home the right way when we go there. We'll decide to wait and see when we go there."

Red Sox pitchers Ryan Brasier and Steven Wright both liked a tweet publicizing Kennedy's announcement.

There is, of course, the chance some members of the Red Sox don't attend the event, as was the case when then-GM Theo Epstein didn't show up in 2005, or last year when both Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltran didn't make the trip for the Astros. While there was full attendance after the 2013 championship, catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia told WEEI.com he may have bypassed the opportunity to participate if he wasn't already unavailable due to switching organizations.

"Everyone has got their own opinion," Saltalamacchia said in a 2017 interview while playing for the Blue Jays. "I’ll be honest with you, I probably wouldn’t have went because (Barack) Obama was in. I didn’t agree with a lot of his political beliefs and the way he ran the country. I honestly probably wouldn’t have went."

Kennedy surmised the trip could come in February, March or April. The last time the Red Sox made such a visit it came during a road trip to Baltimore in the regular season's first month. But the most logical date actually might be found in May when they have an off day on May 9 following a three-game road trip to Baltimore.

Comments ()