Clay Buchholz

Red Sox notes: Clay Buchholz gets PRP injection, halting throwing program

Rob Bradford
July 22, 2015 - 5:30 pm
Categories: 

HOUSTON -- What was the biggest takeaway from Clay Buchholz'€™ visit to Dr. James Andrews Wednesday morning? It'€™s going to a bit longer than previously anticipated before we see the pitcher throwing a baseball again. Buchholz, who is currently on the 15-day disabled list with a flexor strain in his right elbow, visited Dr. Andrews in Pensacola, Fla. For a second opinion on his injury. While the doctor confirmed the Red Sox'€™ medical team'€™s findings, he also suggested to Buchholz that he received a PRP injection in the elbow. (PRP injections are platelet-rich plasma, which was first introduced to the Red Sox organization via reliever Takashi Saito. Other members of the organization to have used it have been J.D. Drew, David Ortiz and Brandon Workman. For more on PRP injections, click here.) By receiving the injection --€“ which was also recommended as an option by the Red Sox medial team -- Buchholz will have to wait at least a few weeks before restarting any sort of throwing program. He had thrown twice since incurring the injury June 10. "The diagnosis was consistent," said Red Sox manager John Farrell. "And at the time Clay was examined in Boston, no ligament issues, still the same flexor tendon area. At the time there was discussion of a PRP injection, which we opted not to go through. Then upon the second opinion today, the diagnosis is still consistent but Dr. Andrews talked to Dr. [Peter] Asnis back here. Again, he recommended a PRP injection so as of today, Clay did go ahead with that injection. "There'€™s going to be a little bit of a shutdown time now as a result, which is consistent with a PRP injection. The total time with that is, the total time of shutdown is yet to be determined. But as he'€™s been playing light catch of late, that will now be stopped." (For more on Buchholz' motivation when it came to visiting Dr. Andrews, click here.) -- To make room for Wednesday night'€™s starting pitcher Joe Kelly on the 25-man roster, Brian Johnson was optioned back to Triple-A Pawtucket. "I think we'€™ll see him again. When that is remains to be seen," said Farrell of Johnson, who allowed four runs on three hits and four walks over 4 1/3 innings in his big league debut Tuesday. "I thought he threw a very good curveball last night, he threw a lot of them. He'€™s got at least one game of first-hand experience that will be part of his transition." The Red Sox still haven't announced a starter for Sunday night's game against Detroit, but with Johnson not eligible it would likely be Steven Wright.

Comments ()