Red Sox prospect Bobby Dalbec's participation delayed

Rob Bradford
July 06, 2020 - 3:07 pm
Categories: 

Ron Roenicke wasn't able to offer really any specifics when it came to COVID-19 issues. But the Red Sox manager did confirm one absence that hadn't previously been mentioned: Bobby Dalbec.

"He’s not working out right now," Roenicke said regarding the first baseman. "There are still some intake things we have to do with him. That’s all I can say about that."

The 25-year-old Dalbec is coming off a Spring Training 1.0 in which he went 5-for-22 with one homer. While it seemed like a longshot for the first baseman to crack the initial 30-man roster, his Red Sox valued immersing him into the workouts at Fenway Park.

As for the status of Eduardo Rodriguez, who was awaiting his COVID-19 test results, Roenicke had no real update.

"That’s still pending," he said. "We’re still waiting for that."

Much of the talk in baseball Monday centered around the issues teams are having with testing and getting results, with both the Nationals the Astros canceling thy their workouts. When asked about the process earlier in the day Mitch Moreland offered some insight.

"I missed the first day of workouts because of a pending test," he said. "There’s definitely going to be, there’s going to be some hiccups along the way. It’s just going to be how we handle it. I don’t think we can get too upset with it. Everybody is trying to do the best they can in this situation. The fact that we’re getting tested every other day is great. I think if it becomes a thing where it happens every time, that might become a little more of an issue. As of now, we’ve got to make the most of it and hope they come back sooner than later."