Rick Porcello on Bradfo Sho: No extension has been offered

Rob Bradford
February 21, 2019 - 7:46 am

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- We know the Red Sox have talked contract extension with both Chris Sale and Xander Bogaerts. Chairman Tom Werner also told the Mut & Callahan Show that J.D. Martinez hasn't gotten such treatment. So where does it leave the other potential high-priced free agent Rick Porcello?

Appearing on the Bradfo Sho podcast, Porcello said he has not been offered a contract extension. The Red Sox' pitcher is in the final season of a four-year, $82.5 million deal that kicked off prior to the 2016 season.

"I don’t know. That’s a great question," said Porcello when asked if he thought he would be getting a deal done prior to the start of the regular season. "If there is an extension offered to me I’ll definitely (think about it)."

As for how camp feels in a contract year he quipped, "It feels fine. It feels just like I did last year. I’m still upright. I’m still wearing the Boston Red Sox uniform. Now we have a ring on our fingers."

Porcello's previous deal was worked out over the course of the 2015 spring training, ultimately getting finalized just before the Red Sox' opener in Philadelphia. The pitcher chose to announce the agreement on the Players' Tribune in large part because of his affinity for a former Yankees shortstop.

"Nobody knew. That thing was executed to perfection. Nobody knew until 24 hours after," Porcello remembered. "(Derek) Jeter runs (the Players' Tribune), he was a favorite player of mine growing up so I was like, ‘Here Jetes.’"

To listen to the entire Bradfo Sho podcast with Porcello, Brian Johnson and Bobby Poyner, click here.

Comments ()