Jon Lester

Source: Jon Lester's decision could be pushed to Wednesday

Rob Bradford
December 08, 2014 - 10:36 pm
Categories: 

SAN DIEGO -- According to a major league source, Jon Lester's decision as to which team he will sign with may drag on into Wednesday. It was originally believed that the time it would take for Lester to pick a team wouldn't stretch beyond Tuesday. But, because of the involvement of ownership for multiple interested teams, the process has been slowed. The source suggests that there is still the possibility that an agreement is in place Tuesday, although it would likely be later in the day. As of Tuesday morning, the Red Sox were very much in the mix for Lester's services, with the Cubs, Giants and Dodgers also making strong plays for the free agent pitcher. Monday, Red Sox manager John Farrell expressed optimism regarding the return of his ace pitcher, telling the assembled media at the winter meetings, "I think we'€™re still confident that we can sign Jon. He'€™s obviously still going through this free agency process. As we came into this offseason, there were a couple spots in the rotation that we needed to add to and address. We'€™re in the midst of that right now. We'€™re still optimistic that he'€™ll be in a Red Sox uniform. There'€™s a lot of history between the Red Sox and Jon. We obviously have a strong desire to bring him back, and yet hopefully this is coming to a little bit of a head here." Multiple sources continue to suggest that Lester likely won't take the highest offer if he deems another team to be a better fit. For more Red Sox news, visit weei.com/redsox.

Comments ()
Tags: