David Andrews calls last year's medical issue a 'freak accident,' looking forward to getting back on field in 2020

Ryan Hannable
May 05, 2020 - 4:19 pm
Categories: 

Although David Andrews has addressed missing last season due to blood clots in his lungs a few days, he spoke to the New England media as a whole for the first time Tuesday and is looking to put the whole situation behind him.

The blood clots were discovered in the preseason and he spent the entire year on injured reserve, but remained around the team on a daily basis. Andrews announced via Instagram a few weeks ago he was cleared to return to action.

“I know there’s a lot of interest going on with my health and things that happened last year. It was definitely an interesting situation," he said at the start of the video conference. "I am very fortunate that I am able to continue to play this game. I am very appreciative for all the support I received from my family, my friends, my wife, but really the organization as a whole from the Kraft family down to Coach Belichick, to Josh (McDaniels), Scar, all the coaches. Then obviously all the doctors, our medical staff, strength staff continuously working with me. The doctors I had to deal with, the time they spent with me, the questions, so a lot of phone calls. Our team doctors, I am very appreciative for all that.

"Appreciative of, as most of you all know and saw me around the building last year, there was some talk of how I was trying to contribute and do whatever I could to help the football team. Now, that is kind of in the past. I have said what I’ve wanted to say on that. I am just really looking forward to moving forward and getting back to being a football player again. I am really looking forward to getting back out there whenever we can.”

Andrews doesn't know if he's at any risk of it reoccurring and he doesn't believe he has any type of restrictions.

“Not really sure about if there’s a real restriction on anything," he said. "I haven’t been told that. Part of it was the medicine that I was on and I am off that medicine, so I can go about living my normal life and the reoccurrence thing, that is something unfortunately they can’t really pin down. I am just going to go about my life and keep playing this game, staying as healthy as I can and I think it was just kind of a freak accident thing.”

The center and team captain is looking forward to getting back on the field.

“I mean it is great," he said. "That is what I want to do. I came here to play football and not being out there, anybody that is hurt not being out there, even if it is just for a week, whatever it may be, is tough on an athlete. We want to compete. We want to be out there. When you can’t do that it’s obviously frustrating and tough.

"It was great to finally get that  (news) and like I said, want to move forward now and look forward to 2020.”

Related: Matthew Slater on DK defends life as a Patriot