Spring Fort-itude: What happened to the Red Sox in Fort Myers on Tuesday

February 19, 2014 - 4:20 am
Categories: 

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The Red Sox roster is present and accounted for, with David Ortiz, Jonny Gomes and Shane Victorino having rounded out the group of reporting position players on Tuesday. Here's a look at the headlines from Tuesday: -- Ortiz was at JetBlue Park on Tuesday, as was his agent, Fern Cuza. Cuza characterized his visit to camp as routine, but his presence could facilitate the start of talks between the Sox and Ortiz about a potential contract extension. Ortiz has said that he'd like to add another year to his deal, which expires following this season. In an interview with the Boston Herald, Ortiz blasted those who have criticized him for his public expressions of a desire to discuss his deal. Ortiz will speak to the media in Fort Myers this morning. -- Victorino said that, in the aftermath of surgery to repair his thumb in January, he's been able to start taking dry swings, but has a ways to go in his baseball activities. He remained coy about whether or not he will switch-hit in the coming season, and expressed a willingness both to hit leadoff and to play center field when needed. More from Victorino here. -- Jonny Gomes has no beard, but he's gone from hungry to win a World Series to starving for a repeat. -- Mike Carp was a critical depth contributor to the Red Sox roster last year, offering an impact reserve in left field, at first base and at DH. While it would be natural for the 27-year-old to put designs on an everyday role, he said that he would rather be a valued contributor -- even in a part-time role -- with the Red Sox than be traded. -- Red Sox manager John Farrell said that Ryan Lavarnway has made considerable strides in terms of his apparent comfort at few base in his limited time working with Brian Butterfield this spring, to the point where Farrell envisioned Lavarnway seeing some game reps at the new position this spring. -- Farrell also offered health updates on the minor medical matters relating to Jake Peavy and A.J. Pierzynski. -- Reliever Francisco Cordero sounded more like a teenager than a 38-year-old in discussing his return to uniform, even if only on a minor league deal this spring. The all-time leader in saves by a Dominican was inspired to snap some selfies on his first day working out with the Sox. -- Mike Gordon, a Red Sox limited partner, has a low profile, but he's assumed a role of significance in the organization: He's the second largest shareholder in the Sox (with a larger stake than chairman Tom Werner), has been friends with Bud Selig for his entire life, is credited with running the LIverpool Football Club for Fenway Sports Group and is increasingly part of the conversation about the direction of the Red Sox. More on him here.

Comments ()