As talks advance, Red Sox scratch Jon Lester; Brandon Workman to start Wednesday

July 29, 2014 - 6:41 pm
Categories: 

With trade winds blowing around Jon Lester, the Red Sox have scratched the left-hander from his scheduled start on Wednesday against the Blue Jays. The team will recall Brandon Workman from Triple-A Pawtucket. "In light of all the uncertainty surrounding Jon Lester, it's probably in everyone's best interests that he does not make that start, so Brandon will be recalled," Red Sox manager John Farrell said after Tuesday's 4-2 loss to the Blue Jays. "There will be a corresponding move roster-wise at some point tomorrow." That corresponding move, of course, could be a trade that sends Lester elsewhere. The 30-year-old -- amidst a season in which he's 10-7 with a 2.52 ERA -- represents one of the foremost chips on the market. One general manager who has checked in with the Red Sox said that it was looking like a deal would be done either on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. Industry sources suggest that some teams that had been involved in talks for the pitcher are exiting the running for his services, including the two AL East teams -- the Orioles and Blue Jays -- that had been kicking the tires on the pitcher. UPDATE (11:19 p.m.): According to an industry source, multiple teams remain involved in negotiations about a potential Lester trade, suggesting that a deal is not yet in place.

Comments ()